Tuesday, October 12, 2010

All About AmeriCorps NCCC

So I'm going to tell about everything one may need to know about AmeriCorps NCCC. Or at least about what I know so far.

1. Overview (from Welcome Packet)
AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) is a residential national service program for men and women between the ages of 18 and 24. Approximately 1100 members serve nationwide annually.

For 10 months, members serve on teams to meet urgent community needs through projects that support the environment, infrastructure improvement, energy conservation, urban and rural development, and immediate and continuing disaster response, which is our priority project area. AmeriCorps NCCC has responded to every national disaster since the program began in 1994. Projects operate through partnerships with non-profit organizations, state and local agencies, and other community and faith-based groups. Teams will work on a series of different projects, allowing members to experience a variety of service work as well as different communities and cultures.

2. Units and Teams
There are four units. They are Earth, Fire, Sun, and Water. The name has no relation to what projects are assigned. Each unit will probably have about 7 teams with 12 members in each. The teams are all assigned a certain number (Water 4, Sun 2). Some teams are specialized to fight the forest fires, but I didn't want to do that. I got a call about two days ago and found out that I'm in the Sun Unit. I will probably stay there through the whole program.

3. Corps Training Institute (CTI)
During the first four weeks I will be stationed in Denver. While in Denver, I go through specialized training. I will learn MANY different things that I will use while on spike (see below).

4. What is a SPIKE?
From Welcome Packet- A SPIKE is when a team undertakes a service project which is more than a one hour drive from campus. You will not be housed in the campus dormitories while on SPIKE. SPIKE accommodations have included staying at community centers, churches, military facilities, youth hostels, camping, etc. If you are without a bed you will be provided a sleeping bag and sleeping mat. You may or may not be cooking your own food. You may have to share a single bathroom or shower facility among your teammates. Come prepared for any of the above and beyond. SPIKES usually last six to eight weeks.

The first spike will be shorter than the others. There are usually 4-6 spikes during the service year. I kind of hope we won't have to go to the Texas coast, but if I have to then I will get over it. The southwest region is mainly what the Denver campus covers, unless a major disaster happens.

5. Miscellaneous
Packing- UGH!!! That was one of the most time consuming of all. It was a LONG list. I had to pack for all seasons as well as the different weather conditions. I've never even had to really worry about cold climate before. I got it all done with the help of friends and family members. I really appreciate it.

Process- Ever since that day I turned in my application about a year ago, I have been standing on pins and needles. Flexibility is a must. First, was the interview in March. The service projects I did in high school really helped with that. Next, was the waiting period. A very long waiting period. That waiting period ended up with me on the waitlist. -sigh- Finally, in July I hear from them. I had been accepted. That was the ONLY information they gave me. Where was I going? When would I find out? I ended up calling the next day. I was on hold for an hour and transferred through many people till finally I was told that I was assigned to Denver and will leave in October. All the stuff after that involved paperwork, more paperwork, and some more phone calls.


I really am excited to finally start this new adventure. I will try to post when I can. Thanks to all who are reading this and continue to read. Please comment or send an email! I hope to hear from any of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment